Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Vegetable Orzo Primavera
- 3 carrots peeled
- 2 medium or 1 large zucchini
- 2 yellow summer squash
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs or herbes de Provence
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 1 pound orzo pasta
- 20 cherry tomatoes halved
- 3/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut the carrots, zucchini, squash, and bell peppers into thin 2-inch-long strips. On a large, heavy, foil-lined baking sheet, toss the vegetable strips, onion, oil, dried herbs, and 2 teaspoons each of salt and pepper to coat. Transfer half the vegetable mixture to another large, heavy, foil-lined baking sheet, and arrange the vegetables evenly over both sheets. Bake, stirring after the first 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender and the other vegetables begin to brown, about 20 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the cooked vegetables to combine. Add the cherry tomatoes and enough of the reserved cooking liquid, 1/4 cup at a time, to moisten. Season the pasta with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the pasta to bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.