Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Artichokes and sweet tomatoes make this a perfect salad from spring ’til summer! Better yet, most of the ingredients are usually already in my pantry, making this a quick and easy go-to.
Tomato and Artichoke Panzanella
- 3 cups 1 1/2-inch-cubed whole-wheat bread
- One 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts thawed (about 2 cups)
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more for seasoning
- 3 large red tomatoes cut into wedges (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup pitted black olives halved
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves about 1 bunch
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Drizzle the bread and artichoke hearts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the bread and artichokes until golden brown at the edges, about 6 minutes total, turning every 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the bread and artichokes from the grill and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, olives and basil to the bowl and toss to combine. In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Toss to combine and serve immediately.