Photo Credit: Michael Patrick Harvey
The Giada-fied Burger
For the onions:
For the Avocado:
- 2 ripe avocado pitted and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- For the Burger:
- 2/3 pound ground beef short rib
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 thin slices provolone picante
- 5 potato hamburger buns toasted
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 to mato sliced thin, optional
- Preheat a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Drizzle the onion slices with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt. Place the sliced onion on the hot grill for about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a bowl and toss with the balsamic and sugar. Cover the bowl with a piece of plastic wrap and let steam at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mash together the avocado, lemon juice, salt and pepper flakes.
- Place the ground short rib and chuck in a large bowl. Using your hands mix them together until fully combined. Form the mixture into 5 even patties about 1/3 pound each. Season the patties evenly on both sides with the salt and place on the grill. Grill each patty for about 2 minutes on the first side or until nicely browned. Flip the burgers and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Place a slice of cheese on top of each burger and cover with a bowl or lid to allow the cheese to melt, about 1 minute longer for medium or until desired doneness.
- Place a small amount of arugula on the bottom half of a toasted bun. Top with the burger, tomatoes if you are using and the grilled balsamic onions. Spread some of the avocado on the top half of the bun and close the burger. Continue with the remaining burgers and topping.