So many great flavors going on in this simple, ready-in-20- minutes dish: garlic, mushrooms, pepper flakes, lemon, and sesame oil. Add in the textures and tastes of kale and green beans, and you’ve got one great and very nutritious side.
Spicy Sesame Green Beans and Kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot sliced
- 10 shiitake mushrooms stemmed and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger about a 1-inch piece
- 1½ pounds green beans trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup white wine
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch kale ½ pound, rinsed, stemmed, and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Warm the olive oil in a large, heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté another 3 minutes, or until they begin to soften and brown. Add the garlic, ginger, green beans, and salt, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, and continue cooking until the green beans are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and kale, and continue cooking until the kale has wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the lemon juice and the sesame oil. Toss to coat and serve immediately.