Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Quickly sauteed green beans, kale and mushrooms gets loads of flavor from Parmesan, pepper flakes and lemon juice. You’ll be wanting to make this one on any weeknight for a quick side – but it doubles as a wonderful addition to any holiday table.
Spicy Parmesan Green Beans and Kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/4 pound cremini mushrooms trimmed and quartered (about 14 mushrooms)
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans trimmed and slice into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch kale 1/2 pound, rinsed, stemmed, and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice about 1/2 a lemon
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- Warm the olive oil in a large, heavy saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, green beans, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine and continue cooking until the green beans are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and the kale and continue cooking until the kale has wilted, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and the Parmesan cheese. Toss to coat and serve immediately.