One-pot spicy chicken with a decadant chocolate glaze.
Spicy Chocolate Chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces bacon diced
- One 3-pound chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 1 serrano chile stemmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon pimenton smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 ounces baking chocolate chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- As seen on: Giada Entertains, Episode 6. Spread The Love.
- Heat a braiser or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil and bacon; cook until the bacon is golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon to a plate, using a slotted spoon.Turn the heat up to medium-high. Pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels, and sprinkle all over with the salt. Add the chicken, skin-side down, to the pan and cook until golden brown and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. Flip and brown on the reverse side, an additional 5 minutes. Remove the chicken to the plate with the bacon.
- Add the onions, carrots, garlic and chiles to the pan, and cook an additional 3 minutes, stirring often. Add the allspice and pimenton; cook another 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant and deepened in color, 2 minutes more. Deglaze the pan with the red wine and simmer for 5 minutes to reduce slightly. Add the chicken broth and then whisk in the chopped chocolate. Nestle in the browned chicken pieces, skin-side down, and sprinkle with the bacon. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 35 minutes, turning the chicken pieces halfway through.
- Remove the chicken to a platter to rest. Meanwhile, whisk the butter and agave nectar into the sauce. Stir in the peas, then spoon the stew over the chicken pieces.