Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
These crunchy, salty-sweet roasted nuts are bursting with flavor. Warm spices from madras curry, cumin, cinnamon and cardamom pair amazingly well with my favorite ingredient ever, chocolate chips!
Tip: make sure they cool completely before adding in the chocolate chips!
Spiced Cocktail Nuts With Chocolate Chips
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups roasted and salted almonds
- 2 cups roasted and salted cashew nuts
- 2 cups walnut halves
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons + 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet, liberally, with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy. Add the nuts and stir until coated. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, curry powder, cumin, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, cardamom, and cinnamon. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the nuts and toss until coated. Arrange the nuts in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes until golden and fragrant. Cool for 1 hour.
- Using a metal spatula, remove the nuts from the baking sheet. Break the nuts into bite- sized pieces and place into a large bowl. Mix in the chocolate chips. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature.