Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Smokey Candied Carrots with Walnut Gremolata
For the carrots:
- 24 ounces cleaned washed and trimmed baby carrots
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup smoked sugar or smoked maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter. at room temperature
For the gremolata:
- 1 cup toasted walnuts chopped
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- As seen on: Giada's Holiday Handbook, Season 2, Episode 3. Thanksgiving Feast.
- Place the baby carrots in a 10 inch sauté pan. Add the water, sugar and salt. Place the pan over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to medium high and continue to simmer vigorously until the liquid has thickened to a syrup and the carrots are fork tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the carrots to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mix together the walnuts, parsley, thyme, lemon zest and salt. Gently toss the carrots to coat them in the thickened syrup. Spoon them on a platter and sprinkle with half of the gremolata. Serve the remaining gremolata on the side.