Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
A twist on the conventional mashed potatoes, celery root and parsnips give this side dish lots of extra flavor.
Smashed Root Vegetables
- 1 celery root peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces, (about 2 cups)
- 3 parsnips peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces, (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces, (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves of garlic smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus 2 tablespoons for the water
- zest of 1 small lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the celery root, parsnips, potatoes and garlic into a large pot. Cover with cold water by an inch and add 2 tablespoons of salt. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until all of the vegetables are tender. Drain well and return the cooked vegetables to the pot. Using a wooden spoon, stir the vegetables over medium heat to remove some of the excess moisture. This will take about 4 minutes. Using a large fork or a potato masher, lightly mash the vegetables. Remove the smashed and dried vegetables from the heat and add the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, the lemon zest, thyme, olive oil and cheese. Mix until well combined. Serve hot.