Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Eggs-in-a-hole meets bruschetta, and now it’s one of our favorite healthy (and FAST) breakfasts!
Skinny Breakfast Bruschetta
For the topping:
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes about 2 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
For the toast:
- PAM Olive Oil Spray Pump
- 2 slices rustic country style bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a medium bowl toss together the tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper flakes and vinegar.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Spray the pan with 9 pumps of PAM Olive Oil Spray Pump. Using a shot glass or a cookie cutter, cut a 2 1/2 inch hole in the center of both slices of bread. Place the bread slices in the pan and slide 1 egg into each hole. Place the round pieces of bread alongside the slices to toast. Season each egg with a pinch of salt and cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon Parmesan on top of each egg and spray the Parmesan with 2 pumps of PAM. Divide the remaining tablespoon of Parmesan on both rounds of bread. Using a slotted spatula, flip the slices with the eggs and the rounds with cheese and cook an additional 2 minutes cheese side down or until the yolk is still soft but the whites are set. Place the egg slices crispy Parmesan side up on 2 plates. Divide the tomato mixture over the tops and serve with the Parmesan toast rounds.