Who said salad has to have lettuce in it? This fall veg version uses zucchini and carrots, which are shaved into long strips and tossed with a tart and creamy vinaigrette.
Shaved Vegetable Salad with Goat Cheese Vinaigrette and Walnuts
- 2 zucchini trimmed
- 3 medium carrots
- ¬æ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces plain goat cheese
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup toasted walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves chopped
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the zucchini and carrots into long thin strips. Toss the strips with ½ teaspoon salt and place the salad in a serving bowl.
- In a the bowl of a food processor, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, goat cheese, thyme, 1 teaspoon water, ¼ teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Purée until smooth. Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Garnish the salad with toasted walnuts and parsley. Serve.