Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This spin on waffles will have you on team savory instead of sweet!
Sausage and Parmesan Waffles
- 2 cups waffle mix such as Bisquick
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 ounces spicy Italian sausage removed from casings, crumbled and cooked
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Maple syrup for serving
- Serving suggestions: sour cream crumbled bacon or pesto
- This recipe originally appeared on Giada Entertains. Episode: Giada's Midnight Jam.
- Special equipment: a waffle iron
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- Using a rubber spatula, mix together the waffle mix, egg yolks, water and olive oil in a medium bowl until just combined, with a few streaks and lumps remaining. Fold in the Parmesan.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks. Fold the whites into the batter.
- Spray the hot waffle iron with nonstick spray. Ladle 1/2 cup of the batter (or as much as your iron will allow) into each mold, and sprinkle with sausage and chives. Close the top and cook until the waffles are golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter, sausage and chives.
- Serve with maple syrup. Top as desired with sour cream, bacon or pesto.