Photo Credit: Lauren Volo
Fennel is one of those vegetables that is underappreciated in this country. In Italy, on the other hand, its versatility makes it one of the most used vegetables. Raw, it has a licorice flavor and a celery-like texture that is very refreshing, but it’s also delicious cooked, as it is in this dish. The licorice flavor mellows a bit and is a great match for the salty Parmesan.
Roasted Fennel with Parmesan
- 4 large bulbs fennel trimmed and cut horizontally into 1/4-inch slices, fronds reserved
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest about 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus for oiling the baking dish
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- As seen on: Giada's Holiday Handbook, Episode 4. Santa's Grab Bag.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass baking dish.
- Arrange the fennel in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the salt, lemon zest and garlic. Top with the Parmesan and drizzle with the oil. Bake until the fennel is fork-tender and golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Chop enough of the reserved fennel fronds to equal 2 teaspoons. Sprinkle the roasted fennel with the chopped fronds and the pomegranate seeds.