This sweet, spicy, and salty combo is a bit unusual but completely addictive.
Roasted Acorn Squash and Gorgonzola Pizza
- 1 1 pound acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded whole-milk mozzarella
- ½ cup crumbled Gorgonzola
- 1 cup arugula
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Slice the squash in half through the stem and scoop out the seeds. Slice the squash into ½ to 1 inch-thick halfmoons and place in a medium bowl. Toss the squash with the syrup, olive oil, red pepper flakes, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper.
- Arrange the squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until tender and golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. Leave the oven on.
- On a flour-dusted piece of parchment paper, roll the pizza dough into a circle 13 inches in diameter. Transfer the pizza and parchment paper to a baking sheet. Sprinkle the dough with the mozzarella and Gorgonzola cheeses. Bake until golden and the crust is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Peel the skin off the squash pieces and arrange the squash atop the hot pizza. Scatter the arugula over it all and season with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Slice and serve.