Roasted Acorn Squash Agrodolce
- 2 large acorn squash
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup 1/2 a stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup smoked almonds
- 15 fried sage leaves
- As seen on: Giada's Holiday Handbook, Season 2, Episode 5. Christmas at Giada's.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Using a chefs knife, cut off a small amount of the top and bottom of the squash. Set the squash on a flat side and cut it in half. Using a large spoon, scoop out the seeds and discard. Cut each half into 5 wedges and place them in a large bowl. To the bowl add the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, cayenne and cinnamon. Using your hands, toss well to coat. Place the seasoned squash on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and fork tender. Flip the squash half way through to ensure even browning.
- Place butter in a small skillet and melt over medium heat until the foam subsides and the solids begin to smell nutty and turn brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Allow the butter to cool for 2 minutes. In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Whisk in the brown butter. Use a rubber spatula to get all the brown bits out of the pan. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Lay the squash on a rimmed platter and spoon the vinaigrette over the squash. Dollop with the mascarpone and sprinkle with the almonds and sage.