Photo Credit: Lindsey Galey
The most decadent brunch – or dessert! You can make the ricotta gelato the day before, and make the French toast the morning you wish to serve. The caramelized toast topped with fresh gelato, orange segments, honey and olive oil make an amazingly balanced sweet treat.
Ricotta Gelato Toast
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- Kosher salt
- 3 large eggs plus 4 yolks
- 1 1/2 cups whole-milk ricotta
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Six 2-inch slices brioche
- 2 oranges segmented, for serving
- Thyme honey for serving
- Extra-virgin olive oil for serving
- This recipe originated in Giada In Italy. Episode: Sweet Capri.
- Heat the half-and-half, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the half-and-half is about to simmer. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl until light, fluffy and pale. Slowly add 1/2 cup of the half-and-half mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly to prevent scrambling the eggs. Whisk in another 1/2 cup. Return the entire mixture to the pan and continue to cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a flat-bottom spoon, until the mixture thickens slightly, coating the back of the spoon, about 6 minutes. Pour the mixture into the pitcher of a blender. Add the ricotta and lemon zest. Puree on medium until smooth, about 30 seconds. Cool the mixture in the refrigerator until completely chilled, about 1 hour.
- Freeze the base in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. When frozen to a soft texture, add the chocolate chips and shut off the machine. Pour into an airtight container and freeze. Temper the gelato for 8 minutes before scooping.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk together the milk, whole eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Working one at a time, dredge 3 of the brioche slices in the batter and place directly in the skillet. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate. Continue with the remaining bread, adding the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet.
- To serve, plate a piece of toast on each plate. Top with a large scoop of gelato, sprinkle with the orange segments and drizzle with the honey and olive oil, if using.