Photo Credit: Food Network
I love this red rice salad most for two occasions: it’s great to meal-prep for work week lunches, and it’s great to bring along to potlucks or dinner parties.
For me, the success of eating healthy comes from planning ahead. This is a great example of a meal you can make ahead of time that gets tastier while it hangs out in the fridge for a few days. With fennel, radicchio, cucumber, red rice, basil, orange segments, and a whole grain mustard dressing, it’s got so many wonderful flavors and textures that give it a ton of interest while eating. It’s a wonderfully healthy make-ahead lunch!
Additionally, those beautiful colors and flavors will pop on any table. This is perfect to make a day ahead and bring to picnics or potlucks.
Red Rice Salad
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, such as Fratepietro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 oranges
- 1 Persian cucumber sliced
- 1 bulb fennel halved and thinly shaved
- 1 small head radicchio quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cup red rice cooked according to package directions and cooled (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves torn
- This recipe originally appeared on Giada Entertains. Episode: Potluck Party.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, olive oil and salt.
- Using a paring knife, cut off the top and bottom of the oranges. Set each orange on an end and cut away the peel and pith, working top to bottom. Then cut along the membranes to free the segments. Add the segments to the bowl. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into the bowl and discard the membranes.
- Add the cucumber, fennel, radicchio, rice and basil to the bowl. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to let the flavors marry. Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.