Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
These yummy granola bars taste more like cookies than a healthy snack. Needless to say, kids love them!
Kid-Approved Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup 1-stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds toasted, *see Cook's Note
- 1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips
- Originally seen on Giada At Home. Episode: Giada's Kidz Kitchen.
- Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 7 by 10 3/4-inch nonstick baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. Lay a 6 by 18-inch piece of parchment paper in the pan, allowing the excess paper to hang over the sides. Spray the parchment paper lightly with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand beater, beat the egg white until frothy. Stir in the peanut butter, brown sugar, and honey. Add the melted butter, oats and almonds. Stir to combine, then add the chocolate chips.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread mixture into the prepared baking pan, pressing lightly to form an even layer. Bake until the edge of the mixture begins to brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 1 hour. Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares and serve.
- *Cook's Note: To toast almonds, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven until lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.