Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Serve this hands-off, hearty short rib lasagna dish at your Oscars party so you can spend the night watching the show instead of the stove.
Oscars Short Rib Lasagna
For the ragout:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces 3/4 cup chopped pancetta
- 3 -3 1/2 pounds bone in short ribs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 14ounce can whole san Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 1 bay leaf
To assemble the lasagna:
- 2 1/2 cups jarred marinara sauce such as Rao's, divided
- 12 to 15 no boil lasagna noodles such as Barilla
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese divided
- To a large dutch oven add the olive oil and pancetta. Place over medium heat and cook for about 4 minutes or until the pancetta is rendered and crispy. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta to a paper towel lined plate. Season the short ribs generously with 2 teaspoons of the salt. Place the ribs, meat side down in the pan and cook until deep golden brown about 3-4 minutes. Repeat searing the meat on all sides until evenly browned all around. Remove the meat to the plate with the pancetta. Add the vegetables to the pan. Using a wooden spoon stir the vegetables, scraping up the brown bits form the bottom of the pan. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and continue to cook for another 3 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add the tomato paste and flour to the pan and cook stirring often for 2 minutes to toast the paste. Add the red wine and stir until smooth. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 3 minutes to reduce the wine and thicken the mixture. Stir in the hand crushed tomatoes and broth. Return all the meat to the liquid making sure the meat is covered by the liquid. Add the pancetta. Using butcher twine, tie together the rosemary, thyme, oregano and bay leaf. Nestle the bundle in the mixture between he meat. Bring the mixture to a simmer and reduce the heat low to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover the pot and cook for 3 hours, removing the lid for the final hour. Allow the mixture to cool.
- When the mixture is cool, remove the ribs from the liquid. Shred the meat into bit sized pieces discarding the bones and sinew. Place the meat in a medium bowl. Discard the herb bundle and skim any fat off the surface of the sauce. Add 3 cups of the sauce to the shredded meat and stir to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- To the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan add 1/2 cup of the store bought marinara. Spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan. Lay 4 to 5 noodles on the bottom of the pan or as man as will fit nicely in your pan. Feel free to break the noodles if need be. Spread half the meat mixture over the first layer of noodles. Top with 1 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup of parmesan. Lay 4 to 5 more noodles on top and repeat the layer using the remaining meat mixture, 1 more cup of mozzarella and 1/2 cup of parmesan. Lay 4 to 5 more noodles over the cheese. Top with 2 cups of marinara, 1 cup of mozzarella and the reaming cup of parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.