One Pot Creamy Creamy Orzo with Prosciutto and Peas
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound prosciutto diced into 1/3 inch pieces
- 2 shallots chopped
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Originally seen on Giada In Italy. Season 2, Episode 1: When in Florence.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the prosciutto and cook for 4 minutes or until the prosciutto is beginning to brown and get crispy. Add the shallots and cook stirring with a wooden spoon until soft and fragrant. Stir in the orzo and toast in the pan for 3 minutes. Add the water and salt and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring often to prevent sticking, for 8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and peas and cook for another 3 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Remove the pan from the heat and add the egg mixture while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Continue to stir until the sauce has thickened slightly and is coating the pasta. Sprinkle with the chopped basil and serve.