Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
For such an easy recipe to throw together, these mushroom toasts are very sophisticated, impressive, and totally delicious. With caramelized mushrooms and shallots deglazed in Marsala wine, flavorful whole-grain mustard and a crispy olive oil egg to boot, this might be the definition of “party in your mouth”.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus 2 tablespoons for the eggs
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms such as
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1 small bunch Tuscan kale chopped
- 3 tablespoons dry marsala sherry or water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 1 inch thick slices of rustic white bread, toasted if desired
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 4 large eggs
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the hot pan. Add the mushrooms to the hot oil, season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until deep golden brown. Add the shallot and cook for an additional 3 minutes stirring constantly. Add the kale and 1/4 teaspoons salt and cook another 2 minutes or until the kale is wilted. Turn off the heat and deglaze with the marsala. Stir in the butter until combined.
- Meanwhile, spread each slice of bread with a tablespoon of whole grain mustard. Divide the mushroom mixture evenly over the bread slices. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel. Return the pan to medium heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Break the 4 eggs into the hot pan and season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat until the whites are set and browned around the edges and yolk is still runny, about 3 to 4 minutes. Spoon some of the hot oil over the whites if they need help setting. Top each toast with the crispy egg and serve.