Photo Credit: Lauren Volo
Think of this recipe as a base for improvisation with any kind of leftovers you may have on hand. Substitute pieces of roasted asparagus for the peas, or use chicken or shrimp for the beef, and leave out the mushrooms if you prefer.
Mushroom and Beef Risotto with Peas
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 2 small shallots finely chopped
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1 cup diced leftover pot roast or other cooked meat
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring the broth to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Cover the broth and keep warm over very low heat.
- Melt the butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic; saute until the mushrooms are tender and their juices have evaporated, about 10 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine; cook until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium low and add 1 cup of hot broth to the rice. Simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook, adding more broth by the cup as it is absorbed and stirring often, until the rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy; this will take about 28 minutes in total. Stir in the peas and beef and stir until warmed through. Mix in the Parmesan cheese and serve.