Leftover mashed potatoes make the perfect base for my zeppole doughnuts- just form into balls, fry lightly and roll in sugar. Serve with my cranberry sauce dipping sauce as an appetizer or dessert!
Mashed Potato Zeppole
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup mashed potatoes at room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1/2 cup, for rolling
- 4 tablespoons 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- This recipe originally appeared on Giada's Holiday Handbook. Episode: That's a Wrap! Party.
- Puree the cranberry sauce with the nutmeg and lemon zest in a food processor. Reserve.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed potatoes, milk, 1/2 cup sugar, melted butter, vanilla, cinnamon and eggs until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pan until it reaches 350 degrees F. Place the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a shallow bowl.
- With a 1-tablespoon scoop, carefully drop the batter into the hot oil; work in batches to avoid crowding the pan. Fry until deep golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side, turning with a slotted spoon. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain for a few seconds, then roll in the sugar.
- Serve with the cranberry dipping sauce.