Tea is a great calorie-free ingredient that adds lots of flavor. Make sure to purchase either the black or green varieties, not those labeled “flavored sweetened iced tea mixes,” which contain about 80 calories a glass.
Mango-Rum Iced Tea
- 7 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 7 mango black tea bags such as Republic of Tea
- 11/4 cups dark rum
- 1 medium fresh ripe mango peeled, pitted, and finely chopped
- 1 lime thinly sliced
- 1/2 orange thinly sliced Ice cubes
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil. Add the tea bags, remove the pan from the heat, and let steep for 5 minutes. Discard the bags and let the tea cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the cooled tea to a pitcher, add the rum, mango, and the lime and orange slices. Cover and refrigerate until the tea is cold and the flavors have melded, at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- To serve, pour the tea into tall glasses filled with ice cubes and garnish with fruit from the pitcher.
- Passion Fruit Papaya-Rum Iced Tea: Replace the mango tea bags with passion fruit‚ papaya tea bags. Replace the mango with chopped fresh papaya.
- Peach-Ginger Iced Black Tea with Bourbon: Replace the mango tea bags with peach-ginger black tea bags and replace the dark rum with bourbon or whiskey. Replace the mango with chopped fresh or frozen peaches.
- Cranberry Blood Orange Iced Tea with Vodka: Replace the mango tea bags with cranberry blood orange tea bags and replace the dark rum with vodka. Replace the mango with blood or regular oranges.
- *Calories Per Serving: 108