Lentil and Carrot Salad
For the Lentils:
- 1 cup French lentils rinsed and picked through
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the Salad:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon zataar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 carrots peeled and julienned
- 4 cups baby spinach roughly chopped 1/2 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped 1/2 cup shaved ricotta salata cheese
- In a medium sauce pan combine the lentils, water, cumin, coriander, and salt. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to maintain the simmer, partially cover and cook for about 25 minutes or until tender and cooked through. Drain any remaining liquid.
- In a large bowl whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, zataar, cumin, and salt. Add the hot lentils and the carrots to the dressing and toss gently. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Add the spinach, mint, and ricotta salata and toss to combine.