Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
These Italian sausage hoagies are pretty much the ultimate game day food. Between a creamy spicy Calabrian chili mayo, crispy Italian sausage, tangy giardiniera and lightly dressed arugula, it’s a perfectly balanced and crazy good sandwich! They’re so loaded, I like to carefully cut them in half – trust me, one half of a sandwich this loaded is plenty!
While you can totally use storebought giardiniera, if you’re really feeling motivated, why not make it from scratch?
Italian Sausage Hoagies
For the spread*:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Calabrian chili paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the sandwich:
*Cooks note: this makes more mayonnaise than needed for the sandwiches but the leftovers are great on other sandwiches, as the base of a dressing or served with grilled steak or chicken.
- This recipe originated on Giada Entertains. Episode: TV Dinner.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Calabrian chili paste, lemon zest and salt. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil and the sausages and begin to cook, breaking the sausage into large pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook for 15 minutes or until the sausage is golden brown, cooked through and crispy in parts. Drain off excess fat if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the basil, arugula, cider vinegar, and salt. Toss well to coat.
- Split the rolls in half horizontally leaving one side intact. Open the rolls like a book and remove and discard some of the inside of the bread. Spread 1/3 cup of the spicy mayonnaise evenly on each roll. Fill the bottom half of each roll with the crispy sausage mixture. Fill the top half of each roll with 3/4 cup of the giardiniera. Divide the dressed arugula on the two sandwiches and close them pressing gently on the top. Cut each sandwich in half and serve.