Photo Credit: Ray Kachatorian
This Italian twist on traditional lemonade features a surprising note of basil simple syrup.
For the Basil Simple Syrup:
- 1 bunch of fresh basil washed and stemmed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
For the Lemonade:
- 2 cups lemon juice from about 12 to 15 lemons
- 2 cups cold or sparkling water
- Lemon twists for garnish
- In a saucepan combine the basil, sugar, and water and simmer until the sugar is dissolved, 5 minutes. Cool, strain the liquid, and discard the basil. Store the simple syrup in the refrigerator.
- 2 Mix the lemon juice, 2 cups basil simple syrup, and 2 cups water together in a pitcher. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Pour into ice-filled glasses and garnish with a lemon twist.