Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This is my French breakfast-style twist on an Italian classic: lasagna! Savory crepes get layered with melty cheese and a custard full of Italian flavors, like fresh herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, and lots of crispy pancetta.
Italian Baked Crepes With Pancetta
For The Crepes:
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup plus 8 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For The Custard:
- 12 ounces finely diced pancetta
- 8 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups whole milk at room temperature
- One 7-ounce jar sun-dried tomatoes drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded white Cheddar 8 ounces
- 2 cups shredded fontina 8 ounces
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
For the crepes:
- In a medium, bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, 1 1/2 cups water, 1/4 cup of the olive oil, cumin, salt, coriander and pepper. In a 10-inch nonstick skillet heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium-high heat. Pour 1/3 cup of the batter into the pan. Tilt the pan so the batter coats the bottom of the pan. Cook until the underside edges begin to turn golden, about 3 minutes. Using a heat-proof silicone spatula, flip the crepe and continue to cook on the other side until golden, 3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter to make a total of 8 crepes.
For the custard:
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook the pancetta over medium-high heat until crispy, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta and drain on paper towels. In a medium bowl beat the eggs and milk together until smooth. Add the tomatoes, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. In another medium bowl, mix the Cheddar and fontina together.
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9-by-13-by-2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- To assemble the lasagna, ladle 1 cup of the custard into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange two crepes, side-by-side on top. Sprinkle one-quarter of the cheese mixture on top. Sprinkle one-quarter of the pancetta over the cheese. Repeat the layers using the remaining crepes, custard, cheese and pancetta. Pour any remaining custard over the lasagna and bake until puffed and golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.