Pesto makes a delicious and unexpected pairing with grilled tuna. Just make sure you don’t overcook the tuna – you really just want to get the outside a bit charred!
Grilled Tuna With Pesto
Cooking Level: Beginner
- 2 2-inch thick tuna steaks (about 1 pound each)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees F, or heat a grill pan over high heat.
- Wash and pat dry the tuna steaks. Season with salt and pepper and brush both sides with olive oil. Place tuna on hot grill and sear each side for 2 minutes for rare. If you prefer well done, cook the tuna an additional 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and let it rest.
- Into the bowl of a food processor, add the garlic, basil leaves, pine nuts, salt, and pepper. Pulse until finely chopped. With the blender still running, slowly pour 1/2 cup of olive oil. Check for a thick, yet smooth consistency, adding more oil if necessary. Transfer to a bowl and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- Slice the tuna across the grain and on a bias into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place the slices on a serving plate and drizzle with lemon juice. Sauce tuna with pesto.
Calories: 473kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 50g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 32g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 120mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 744IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 1mg