Photo Credit: Food Network
This grilled treviso with citrus and garlic dressing is a quintessential Italian salad. Treviso is a less bitter and more mild variety of radicchio lettuce, and it’s used all the time in Italy. Because it does still have that complex and bitter flavor, I love to pair it with bright, sweet ingredients – in this case, a warm garlic citrus sauce known in Italy as Bagna Cauda!
This is a great simple side salad that feels like it’s straight out of an Italian kitchen, and it pairs very well with virtually any protein. I love it paired with dishes like my Bistecca Fiorentina or Parmesan-Crusted Pork Chops.
Grilled Treviso with Citrus Bagna Cauda
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
- 2 anchovy filets
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon orange zest from 1/2 orange
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon orange juice from 1/2 an orange
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large treviso halved lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- As seen on: Giada in Italy, Episode 1. Cucina Italiana.
- For the bagna cauda, heat the oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and anchovy. Cook, stirring often and breaking up the anchovies with a wooden spoon until they dissolve and the garlic is fragrant and beginning to brown. This takes about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile add the lemon zest, orange zest, lemon juice, orange juice, honey, salt and pepper to a small bowl. Once the oil is cooled to room temperature, whisk the seasoned oil into the citrus. Allow to mingle for about 10 minutes before removing the garlic.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Grill the treviso halves for 3 minutes per side over medium high heat until charred and slightly wilted in some spots. Remove the treviso from the grill and cut out the core. Chop the leaves into bite sized pieces and place in a medium bowl. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Toss the treviso with the dressing and sprinkle with the walnuts.