Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Whenever I throw a grilling party, I always make sure to have some great vegetarian options. This one is succulent, savory, and gets tons of great flavor from the mozzarella tomato salad.
Grilled Portobellos With Tomatoes And Mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus extra for greasing grill pan
- 4 large portobello mushrooms about 5 inches in diameter, stemmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 small to medium sized vine ripened tomatoes cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces fresh water-packed mozzarella drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Prepare the barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms. Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil on grill pan to prevent mushrooms from sticking. Grill until the mushrooms are heated through and tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, whisk the extra-virgin olive oil and garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Add the tomatoes, cheese, and basil and toss to coat. Season the tomato salad, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 hot grilled mushroom gill side up on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Spoon the tomato salad atop the mushrooms, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil to finish, about 1 tablespoon and serve.