Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Fibrous curly kale gets grilled in this recipe, which tenderizes it and adds a flavorful char. I loaded this salad with even more of my favorite superfoods: avocado, almonds, tuscan kale and sungold tomatoes!
Grilled Kale Salad with Roasted Sungolds and Avocado
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup halved Sungold tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch curly kale stems removed
- 1 small bunch Tuscan kale stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds toasted
- This recipe originally appeared on Giada on the Beach. Episode: Farmers Market Lunch.
- Whisk together the Parmesan, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Heat a grill or grill pan to high.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/3 teaspoon salt and the red pepper flakes. Transfer to the oven and roast until golden brown and wrinkled, about 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, place the curly kale leaves directly on the hot grill. Grill for about 1 minute per side, until wilted and charred. Remove to a cutting board, chop into bite-size pieces and add to the bowl with the dressing. Add the raw Tuscan kale, avocado, almonds and tomatoes to the bowl; toss to coat.