The ultimate on-the-go lunch, this fried rice is filled to the brim with healthy greens – but with crispy rice and avocado, it feels like a treat!
Green Fried Rice
Cooking Level: Beginner
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions. chopped
- 1 2 inch piece ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove. roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt. divided
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 bunch swiss chard. stems finely chopped and leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups baby kale. chopped
- 1 avocado. pitted and sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber. peeled and julienned
- Toasted sesame seeds. optional garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon sesame oil to the pan and continue to heat for an additional minute. Add the scallion, ginger, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring often for about 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the rice and toss to coat. Spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan and allow to cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the crispy rice from the bottom of the pan and stir well to distribute.
- Repeat this step to create layers of crispy, golden brown rice. Add the stems of the swiss chard and repeat that step one more time. Add all of the greens along with 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Carefully start to stir in the greens. It will get easier as they wilt. Cook until fully wilted and incorporated into the rice about 5 to 8 minutes. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Serve topped with sliced avocado, julienned cucumber and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds if desired.
Calories: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 1220mg | Potassium: 792mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 7540IU | Vitamin C: 90mg | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 2mg