You can’t go wrong with sweet dates and salty prosciutto – add some mascarpone and goat cheese, and you’ve got a definite crowd pleaser.
The goat cheese gives it a bit of a tart tangy flavor, while the mascarpone gives it that luscious, creamy texture. The basil infuses some great, fresh flavor – and if you make these ahead of time, the basil flavor will permeate through the cheese mixture even more.
The great thing about this appetizer is that it’s completely no-cook, and you can make them in advance. Just cover them in the fridge for a day or two before serving – it doesn’t get easier than that!
Goat Cheese Dates With Prosciutto
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) mascarpone cheese, a room temperature
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 Medjool dates, 12 ounces, pitted
- 8 thin slices prosciutto, halved lengthwise
- In a small bowl, mix together the cheeses and basil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Gently pull the dates apart and stuff with about 1/2 teaspoon of the cheese mixture. Close the dates around the filling. Wrap a piece of prosciutto around each date and secure with a toothpick.
- Arrange the stuffed dates on a platter and serve.