Photo Credit: Lauren Volo
Fusilli with Tuna, Capers, and Almonds
- 1 pound fusilli pasta
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons capers drained and rinsed
- 1 7.76-ounce jar tuna in olive oil, drained and flaked
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano plus more for serving
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- ½ cup toasted almonds chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain well, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. Add the oil and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until the garlic is lightly browned and fragrant. Add the drained tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and salt to the pan, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the capers and tuna and cook for an additional minute. Add the drained pasta, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and about 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Stir to combine. Add the parsley and almonds and toss, adding more pasta water if needed. Serve with more cheese, if desired.