This combination of ingredients might seem interesting to some, but in Italy, it’s very common to have raisins or dried cranberries cooked with your savory greens. The result of this recipe is a highly flavorful side dish with not very many ingredients – earthy mushroom alongside sweet cranberries, crunchy walnuts and peppery arugula… it’s a flavor party!
This makes a great side dish to proteins like beef or pork, but it would be just as great paired with a simple creamy pasta or risotto.
Funghi alla Fiorentina
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound mushrooms such as royal trumpets, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 4 cups packed baby arugula
- Originally seen on Giada In Italy. Season 2, Episode 1: When In Florence.
- Heat a medium straight sided skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil and continue to heat for another minute. Add the mushrooms to the pan and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook stirring every so often for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are an even golden brown on all sides. Stir in the cranberries and walnuts. Cook for an additional minute. Turn off the heat and add the arugula and remaining salt to the pan. Toss the arugula gently with the mushroom mixture to wilt.