Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
The flavors of both Italy and France married together in this prosciutto cotto (Italian-style ham) sandwich. European butter has a higher fat content, which makes the butter and parmesan spread a delicious stand-in for mayo.
France Meets Italy Prosciutto Cotto Sandwich
- 1/2 cup European butter at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese divided
- 1 baguette split in half lengthwise horizontally
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto cotto
- Preheat the broiler to high. Place two upside down baking sheets next to each other under the broiler.
- In a medium bowl using a rubber spatula mix together the butter and 1 1/2 cups of parmesan cheese. Spread the mixture evenly on both cut sides of the baguette. Sprinkle with the remaining 1cup of cheese. Place baguette across the two baking sheets and broil on high for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Remove to a cutting board and allow to cool. Pile the prosciutto cotto on the bottom half and place the top of the baguette on top. Cut into 8 pieces and serve.