Photo Credit: Lauren Volo
A great appetizer, this focaccia is sweet and savory. I happen to love tangerines, but you can substitute any kind of orange or cherries for an equally delicious dish.
Focaccia with Tangerine and Fennel
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1/2 of a tangerine sliced thin
- 1/2 fennel bulb shaved thin on a mandolin 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, about 9 X 13 inches, brush 2 tablespoons of the olive oil around the bottom and sides of the pan. Stretch the pizza dough to fit the pan, pushing out the dough with your hands as needed.
- Using a pastry brush, cover the top of the dough with the remaining tablespoon olive oil. Evenly distribute the tangerine slices, the shaved fennel, and the fennel seeds, pushing the items gently into the dough using your fingertips. Sprinkle with the salt.
- Bake the focaccia until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into slices and serve.