Farro and Arugula Salad
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot diced
- 1 cup farro rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 oregano sprigs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided Juice of 1 large lemon
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or 1 cup fresh pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/2 English cucumber peeled and chopped into 1‚ÅÑ4 inch pieces
- 1 5 ounce container baby arugula 4 ounces goat cheese
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the shallot and cook, stirring often with a 2 wooden spoon, until the shallots have softened and are fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the farro and toast in the olive oil, stirring often, for about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add 2 cups of water, the oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until the farro is cooked through and tender. Remove the oregano sprigs, drain, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, orange juice, remaining 1/3 cup of olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the warm, cooked farro and toss to coat. Add the cherries, toasted walnuts, cucumber, and arugula. Mix well to combine. Crumble in the goat cheese and toss gently just to mix through.