Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
My take on a Dutch baby pancake! Billowing and tall, there’s nothing baby-sized about this cast-iron-baked pancake.
Dutch Daddy Pancake
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons 1/2 stick butter
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar to garnish
- Berries whipped cream, jam or maple syrup if desired
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place a 5 quart enamled braiser in the hot oven to heat up while you mix the batter.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla until smooth. In a separate medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk well until fully incorporated and smooth. Allow the batter to rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the butter to pan and swirl until melted. Pour the batter into the center of the pan and place the pan in hot oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and brown around the edges and set in the center.
- Remove from the oven and dust with powdered sugar. The pancake will immediately start to collapse. Top with berries and whipped cream or simply with jam and syrup.