My go-to soup when I need to reset and refresh!
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts about 1 ½ pounds
- 3 stalks lemongrass trimmed and pounded
- 1 4-inch piece ginger, sliced
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 celery stalk cut into large pieces
- 1 shallot peeled and halved
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 dried Thai chile
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 5-ounce package baby spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- To a large Dutch oven or soup pot add the chicken, lemongrass, ginger, carrots, celery, shallots, bay leaf, black peppercorns, Thai chile, and salt. Cover the ingredients with the water and place over medium heat. Bring the soup to a simmer, skimming off any residue that may come to the top and cook for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Turn off the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and shred the meat, discarding the bones and skin. Strain the stock and return the liquid to the pot. Add the shredded chicken back into the stock along with the spinach, and bring the soup to a simmer over medium-high heat. Serve immediately.