Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Curly Endive, Prosciutto and Mozzarella on Bruschetta
- 18 diagonal slices 1/2-inch-thick baguette bread
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head of curly endive or frisee leaves separated into 2-inch strips
- 1 7-ounce ball fresh water-packed mozzarella cheese, drained, cut into 18 thin slices
- 18 paper-thin slices prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinaigrette recipe follows
For the Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Originally seen on Everyday Italian. Episode: Beach Party.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange the bread slices on 2 heavy large baking sheets. Brush 3 tablespoons of oil over the bread slices. Bake until the crostini are pale golden and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Wrap 1 curly endive and 1 slice of cheese with 1 slice of prosciutto, allowing the tops to extend 1-inch over 1 long side of the prosciutto. Arrange the crostini on a platter. Top each crostini with a prosciutto roll. Drizzle the vinaigrette over and serve.
- For the Red Wine Vinaigrette: Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.