Photo Credit: Dan Langan
Friendsgiving, sorted! This cranberry and apple pie is loaded with seasonal ingredients, making it the perfect festive way to end your feast.
Cranberry Apple Pie
For The Filling:
- 2/3 cup apple butter
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- generous pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 medium baking apples peeled and cored, sliced into 1/8' thick slices
- 1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries some cut in half
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400*F and position a rack in the center of the oven.
- Press the pie dough into a 9' pie pan, making sure to press firmly into the bottom edge of the pan. Fold the excess dough under itself to create a rim and crimp the edges of the crust as desired. Prick the surface of the dough with a fork and then bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow the crust to rest while you prepare the filling.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the apple butter, egg, sugars, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Add the flour and whisk to combine.
- Pour the filling into the warm pie shell and spread smooth.
- Arrange the apples and cranberries as desired over the filling.
- Brush the cream over the apples and cranberries and then sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over the fruit.
- Bake at 400*F for 55-60 minutes or until the filling looks set towards the edges the apples feel tender when pricked with a toothpick.
- Cool for at least two hours before serving.