Winter squash gets a zing from orange zest and Calabrian chili paste, making this a great side dish to spice up any fall or winter protein.
Citrus-Chili Acorn Squash
- 2 small acorn squash halved, seeds scooped out, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest from a large orange
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice from half a large orange
- ¼ teaspoon Calabrian chili paste or hot red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup basil leaves chopped
- Preheat the oven to 475°F. Adjust the rack to the top third of the oven and place a rimmed baking sheet in the oven as it heats.
- Place the sliced squash in a medium bowl. Add the olive oil, cheese, and ¬æ teaspoon salt. Toss well to coat. Remove the hot baking sheet from the oven and spread the squash evenly over the hot tray. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the squash is just tender and cooked through.
- In the same bowl, whisk together the orange zest, juice, chili paste, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Add the warm squash to the bowl and toss gently, being careful not to break apart the squash too much. Sprinkle with the basil and serve.