Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Make this deceptively simple cake the star of your Easter feast!
Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake
For The Candied Oranges:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 orange sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
For The Cake:
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest from 1 orange
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice from 1 orange
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- PAM Baking Spray
For The Chocolate Glaze:
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- For the candied oranges: Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the orange slices and simmer until they are tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the oranges to cool slightly in the syrup, about 15 minutes. Drain the oranges slices and let cool completely on a wire rack until they are room temperature, an additional 10 minutes. Transfer the slices to a cutting board and finely chop.
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan lightly with PAM Baking spray.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed until it is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, incorporating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Turn the mixer speed to low and slowly add the buttermilk and the vanilla. Stop the mixer and add the orange zest and juice. Mix to incorporate. With the mixer on low, add the flour, one cup at a time until just barely combined. Finally add the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Turn the mixer to medium speed for another 10 seconds until the batter is smooth and fluffy. Using a rubber spatula fold in the chopped, candied oranges. Spoon the batter evenly into the bundt pan and smooth out the top. Bake the cake until it is golden and a cake tester comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let the cake cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before turning the cake out onto a plate.
- For the glaze: Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Place the cream in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Once bubbles have formed around the edges of the cream, remove from the heat and pour the cream over the chocolate. Whisk the cream and chocolate together until smooth. Allow the chocolate to cool for 5 minutes. Pour the glaze over the bundt cake, using a spatula or spoon to push the glaze down the sides and center of the cake.