Photo Credit: 1086477
Jade and I are so obsessed with these chocolate almond sandwich cookies! Thanks to oats and cocoa powder, they’re naturally gluten free. Almond butter, chocolate, almond extract and a creamy cocoa-cream cheese filling gives them so much fabulous flavor and texture. I love to make these on the weekend and enjoy them as a sweet treat throughout the week – and I think they’re extra good after getting chilled in the fridge, too!
Chocolate Almond Sandwich Cookies
For the cookies:
- 1 cup roasted smooth unsalted almond butter
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder such as Scharffenberger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups instant cooking rolled oats
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
For the filling:
- 8 ounces 1 bar cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- This recipe originated on Giada Entertains. Episode: TV Dinner.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond butter, butter and sugar. Using a handheld mixer, beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the cocoa powder, salt, extract, baking soda and eggs and mix to combine. Fold in the oats and mini chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate the dough for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop 15 heaping tablespoon size rounds of dough 1 inch apart on each tray. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until just set around the edges and still soft in the middle, rotating the trays halfway through. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the tray before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, butter, cocoa powder, salt and sugar. Using a handheld mixer, beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of the filling on the flat side of half of the cooled cookies. Sandwich the remaining half of the cookies, flat side against the filling. Store in the refrigerator and remove 30 minutes before serving.