Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
In Italy, pizzaiola refers to the tomato based sauce typically served on pizza. These hearty chicken sliders are done up Italian-style with all the flavors you’d find on pizza— tangy tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and lots of cheese!
Chicken Pizzaiola Sliders
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons Hunt's tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups Hunt's crushed tomatoes
- 4 sprigs basil
- 4 4 inch ciabatta rolls, halved through the equator
- 1 cup baby arugula
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chicken, tomato paste, 1/2 cup mozzarella, oregano and salt. Form into 4 patties.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the garlic cloves and the patties and sear the first side until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip the patties and stir the garlic to brown evenly. Add the crushed tomatoes and nestle in the basil. Season with the remaining salt and olive oil. Partially cover and simmer the mixture and the patties for about 10 minutes or until the patties are cooked through and the sauce is slightly reduced. Remove from the heat and top with the remaining mozzarella. Cover and allow the patties to rest and cheese to melt, about 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the ciabatta rolls. Place a clove of cooked garlic on the cut side of each top bun and smash and spread it evenly. Pile 1/4 cup arugula on the bottom half of each bun. Top with one cheese covered patty. Spoon some sauce over the patty. Top with the other half of the bun and serve.
- This post is brought to you in partnership with Hunt's.