Chianti takes the place of espresso, which is what you usually pour over the gelato in an affogato.
- 2 cups Chianti wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/ 4 cup turbinado sugar
- 2 fresh basil sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest from 1/2 orange
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pint vanilla gelato or ice cream
- In a medium saucepan, combine the wine, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, turbinado sugar, basil, orange zest, and salt. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to help dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer and cook the mixture for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow it to steep for an additional 5 minutes. Strain the liquid through a fine-mesh strainer into a pitcher.
- Divide the gelato among 6 coffee cups or small glasses. Pour some of the warm liquid over each portion and serve with demitasse spoons.