Semifreddo is one of my favorite Italian desserts, and this caramel apple version is no exception! Semifreddo, meaning “semi-cold” or “semi-frozen“, is made of a silky chilled custard over a crunchy crust. Somewhere in between pudding and gelato, the soft but sliceable semifreddo has an almost mousse-like texture. This recipe makes it super easy and just uses softened ice cream. To get that signature sweet caramel apple flavor, just mix some apple butter and caramel sauce into the softened vanilla ice cream, and chill! The next day, you have a decadent, party-ready treat.
If caramel apple isn’t your jam, this chocolate hazelnut semifreddo is sure to hit the spot!
Caramel Apple Semifreddo
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 9 whole cinnamon graham crackers
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 3/4 cup plain apple butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- One 12.25-ounce jar caramel sauce
- 1 1/2 quarts vanilla ice cream softened, such as Edy's
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds toasted
- Chopped chocolate almond toffee such as Almond Roca, for garnish
- As seen on: Giada's Holiday Handbook, Episode 2. Classic Thanksgiving.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.In the bowl of a food processor, process the graham crackers until finely crushed. Add the melted butter and process until it resembles wet sand. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake until golden around the edges and fragrant, 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the apple butter, cinnamon, salt and caramel sauce. Set aside.
- Place the softened ice cream in a large bowl. Add the caramel mixture and the almonds, and fold everything together with a rubber spatula until completely incorporated. Switch to a whisk if you like. Pour the mixture over the crust. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the cake. Place in the freezer and freeze at least 8 hours or ideally overnight.
- To serve, run a thin knife around the edge of the pan, and then release the sides. Sprinkle with the almond toffee, slice and serve.