Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
You can have a sundae for dinner with this refreshing take on a caprese salad!
- 1 1/2 pounds about 4 ripe tomatoes on the vine, quartered
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sliced basil leaves
- 12 ciligene fresh mozzarella cheese balls quartered
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts if desired
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Flake salt to sprinkle
- Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar, vinegar and water to the pitcher of a blender. Blend on high for 1 minute. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into an 8x8 baking dish. Discard the seeds and any solids. Place the dish in the freezer and freeze for 2 hours.
- After two hours, use a fork to scrape and break up the mixture. Stir to distribute the ice crystals and return to the freezer until frozen solid, an additional 2 hours.
- Use a fork to scrape the desired amount of large shards of ice into small bowls. Top each serving with basil, mozzarella quarters and pine nuts. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with flake salt and serve.